Sunday, January 18, 2009

Revolutionary Road


Every once in awhile, Paul and I have the "I'll never" conversation. Those of you of a certain age might recognize it. It's the one in which you take stock of your age and realize all the things that are now out of reach...as in, "I'll never compete in the Olympics," "I'll never play professional baseball," "I'll never be a doctor."

For the most part, I'm really happy with my life, but it is sobering, occasionally, to realize that you've passed that point in your life when ALL things are possible. 

When we meet the Wheelers--April and Frank (Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio), they're both just about 30, living in the suburbs of Connecticut, with two kids. And they're having the "I'll never" conversation. Not out loud. Not even consciously, yet. But it's apparent in their misery, and rising panic, as they contemplate where they are in their lives. 

April wanted to be an actress. Frank didn't know what he wanted to be--he just didn't want to be like his father, a mid-level business guy, which is exactly what he's turned out to be. 

They're floating through, losing their youth and the "specialness" they thought made them different from all the other drones they disdain in the suburbs. It's decision time. What are they going to do about their lives?

That's the business of the movie. And I must say, it's pretty spectacular watching it all play out. 

Every aspect of this movie is spot-on, from the 1950's clothes (I wanted ALL of April's clothes, and a dress with a daisy pocket worn by another character) and hair and house decor, to the incredible performances. Winslet is, honestly, riveting. And DiCaprio certainly holds his own. But even smaller parts--Frank's secretary, and the "not well" son of a local real estate broker, who serves as the Greek Chorus of the movie--are brilliantly cast. I also loved the music. Simple, yet haunting. 

I usually find that it's impossible for a movie to live up to the kind of fan-fare that's surrounded this one. But in this case, it did. Paul and I went out afterward because we had to talk about it. And, today, I'm still thinking about it, still seeing scenes in my head. Is RR my favorite movie if the year? I'm not sure yet. I think I might still prefer The Wrestler--but only by a hair. 

No comments: