Saturday, January 10, 2009

Redrum and other movie-isms


The other night Paul and I were in the liquor store looking for a bottle of wine when we noticed one bottle labelled "Evil." The word Evil was printed upside down. I pointed at it and said, "That's so redrum!" And Paul laughed.

It occurred to me that there are some words/phrases that come from movies that are equally obscure, but iconic enough that people get them without explanation.

(And now, for those of you who haven't seen The Shining, I should explain that the word "redrum" is murder spelled backward, and is a key moment in the movie....God, I love that movie...even though the kid in it is annoying.)

I started to wonder what other movie-isms fit this bill--obscure yet iconic and gettable. The only other one I could think of, at the time, was gaslight...I remember a friend of mine talking about "gaslighting" her boss by periodically removing random cards from her filofax (years ago, obviously). Ergo, to gaslight...

(And this, for those who haven't seen it, is from the movie, Gaslight, in which Charles Boyer goes to great lengths to make Ingrid Bergmann thinks she's going nuts.)

At any rate, anyone else have any to contribute?

No comments: