Sunday, January 25, 2009

Riddle me this: Who deserves best supporting actor?


Here’s my problem when pondering the Oscar nominations, or rather, who will win…am I trying to guess who will based on merit of the performance, or who will win based on merit of performance plus all the behind-the-scenes studio politics (and other influences we outsiders know little of)…? I guess I’ll go for the former, since it’s the only one I can speak semi-intelligently about….So, here are my thoughts

Josh Brolin, Milk. I like Josh Brolin, I thought he did a great job in No Country for Old Men, and I thought he did a good job capturing George Bush’s physical mannerisms in W (though I didn’t like that movie at all), but I thought this was just an okay performance. It was mostly about the hair (lordy, am I glad sideburns are out of style) and the suit. In fact, when I left this movie—which suffered from high-expectation-syndrome—my main criticism was that I didn’t really understand Brolin’s character (or his actions), beyond the fact that he was conservative and insecure. That could have been a problem with the script, or editing, ergo not Brolin’s fault…but the end result just didn’t add up to best actor for me. Sorry, Josh.

Heath Ledger, Dark Knight.
Funny to see a movie like this in the Oscars. (And ditto Tropic Thunder, below.) But it says something that, when I think about this movie, I can’t remember who Batman was…i.e. Ledger most definitely stole the show. It was, I must say, an incredibly edgy, scary and believable performance. I adore it when an actor brings an element of reality to characters that have been played as caricatures (Daniel Craig as James Bond being another recent example) in the past. I would love to have seen more of this character in sequels. The image that keeps coming back to me is of Ledger in nurse’s uniform, biceps bulging, stalking through the parking lot in white orthopedic shoes as the hospital blew up behind him. A definite contender. I so wish this young, talented actor was around to do more work.

Robert Downey, Jr. Tropic Thunder.
Okay, I love Ben Stiller’s stuff, and Robert Downey Jr is always an interesting draw…but this one just looked too dumb for me and I didn’t see it. If I had time to see every movie, as I did in my pre-toddler life, I probably would have seen it. A clutch of relatives watched it over Christmas on DVD, however, and one said it was so bad he was embarrassed to be watching it. That made me feel glad I hadn’t wasted 12 bucks, until I saw this nomination. I can well believe that in a crappy and embarrassing movie, Downey managed a virtuoso performance. (He’s that kind of actor.) But I can’t give him my vote without having seen him, alas. And I sort of think, re: the REAL Oscars, that the dumbness of the movie might hurt his chances.

Philip Seymour Hoffman, Doubt.
I adore this guy. I loved his brash, ugly offensiveness in The Talented Mr. Ripley. I loved his calm kindness in Magnolia. I loved his compassionate and believable Capote. But, though I thought he was great in Doubt, I don’t think this is his Oscar year. (If Elizabeth were awarding the Oscars, that is.) The reason: I think, that it’s a pretty understated role, and some of the “louder” characters played by other nominees stand out more, in contrast. Ergo I love you Philip, but maybe next year.

Michael Shannon, Revolutionary Road.
Speaking of louder characters…It doesn’t get louder, or more startling, than Michael Shannon in Revolutionary Road. I keep referring to him as RR’s Greek Chorus because, in the midst of fifties niceness and the self-delusion of the main characters, he’s the one who cuts to the chase and rudely states the truth. No one likes it, and he’s so brusque and, in some scenes, angry, that it’s hard to watch without squirming…but I was still cheering for him. I was still thinking, he’s the only sane one. It’s an electrifying performance. When I went home and IMDB-d Shannon I realized he’d been in Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead (mean blackmailer), too. I remembered him, then—another scary, unpredictable guy. Is he playing himself? Typecast? Or a really great actor? Hard to know yet, but I know I want to see MUCH more of him.


So in Elizabeth’s version of the Oscars, it’s between Ledger and Shannon. Sentiment says Ledger. I’d like to acknowledge an up-and-comer says Shannon. Otherwise, I’m torn….If push came to shove, I might have to say Ledger, mainly because he had more screen time and, odd as it sounds, a more developed character. (In Batman? I know, crazy, right?) But I would not at all be unhappy to see Shannon take it.

No comments: