Saturday, February 7, 2009

Coraline


I doubt I'm seeing this animated kid's feature. Not because I don't like kid's movies.

I saw Toy Story and Toy Story II IN THE THEATER. Now I watch them a minimum of three times a week because my two-year-old, Henry, loves them.

Recent conversation:
ME: "Hey, Henry, you look like Buzz Lightyear!"
HENRY: "No, I NOT look like Buzz Lightyear! I not pretend to fly in the sky!"

Even Henry gets Buzz's problem. I love it.

Anyway, Coraline does not hold huge appeal. At least at the moment. So I'm linking you to Dana Steven's review in Slate. I like Dana, and her taste, so you're in good hands. If I actually see this I'll comment more, but in the meantime....

Also, look out for a future post on crossover kid's movies that work for adults.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter may go see Coraline this afternoon. I'll have her let you know what she thinks. Beware that she LOVED the book and is HIGHLY critical of movies made from her favorite books. Her running commentary during the Harry Potter movies about all of the ommisions and inconsistencies would put all the critics to shame!

Elizabeth DeVita-Raeburn said...

Ha. Well, she's got a long hard future ahead of her, because the moving making "geniuses" generally don't do us proud when it comes to great books. I'd sincerely be interested in her opinion of the movie...please let us know!

Mom o' three said...

My kids are having huge discussions over whether Coraline will be great or too scary. I'm sure we'll see it next week, since everyone is off of school and we need them to sit quietly for a couple of hours so we can sleep.

Elizabeth DeVita-Raeburn said...

you know, the fact that it is potentially scary actually makes me want to see it. i was really into kids literature for awhile, but missed this book.