Sunday, April 12, 2009

Adventureland


I didn’t really know what this movie was about. I just knew it had gotten some nice reviews, and that my friend Nancy, who has very trustworthy taste, had actually read them—and wanted to see it. (Apologies to Nancy for seeing it without her.)

In truth, I’m not very good at the what’s-it-about question—with regard to movies OR books. Generally I enjoy the ride, and then puzzle over what it all means, later. Sometimes I just savor a few seconds or minutes of them, over-and-over again, and forget about worrying over the big picture.

After I saw Doubt, for example, what kept coming back to me was not so much thoughts about the nature of doubt itself (though this was clearly the intention of the movie), but a 20 second or so scene in which the kids are learning to dance in the school gymnasium, and Amy Adams is sitting in a chair on the side, clapping awkwardly. She clapped the way my mom might clap if she were watching me do something I was enjoying, even though she’d never want to try it herself. There’s something so piercingly right and true about those moments. And I felt it again and again in that movie. Does the total movie add up to the greatness of those few moments here and there? I don’t know yet. I’m still enjoying the moments. Haven’t totally gotten to the big picture yet.

That’s sort of where I am with Adventureland right now, too.

It’s 1987. James Brennan, a nerdy but sweet kid with annoying hair (a shelf of bang-curls…were the eighties really that egregious?) is graduating from college and making his plans. He’s going to travel in Europe for the summer with his best friend, then go to journalism school at Columbia.

That’s the plan, at least, until graduation weekend, when his bitchy mom and passive-aggressive dad inform him that his dad’s been demoted and plans have changed. If he’s going to make it to journalism school, he’s going to have to kiss the summer in Europe goodbye and get a job to earn his keep in the fall.

This is one of those movies where the parents are kind of set up as oblivious assholes—the kind who don’t realize that fair’s fair and a deal’s a deal. (The kid only needs 200 bucks to make Europe happen, and it was his graduation gift, for God’s sake.) Other parents are similarly dim-witted or incapable of handling situations with their kids fairly. It reminded me of Peanuts, where we see Charlie Brown and his buddies tangling with painful kid issues (and a few existential ones), while the parents are notably absent or prattling nonsensically in the background.

At any rate, James gets home, only to discover that his nerdy intellectual resume doesn’t get him far. The only job he can get is at a kind of embarrassing local theme park, run by a husband and wife team, Bobby and Paulette (Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig), who met while Bobby was running the horse-racing game. The interview consists of him asking for the job. Five seconds later, he’s handed a “Games” t-shirt, because Bobby and Paulette proclaim him "definitely" a games guy, not a ride guy, and he’s good to go.

It’s at this point where we meet the freaks and geeks who will people his summer—and the next hour-and-a-half or so of our time. A friend of mine wanted to know if this was a movie about intellectual slackers. Not really. James and a few others are there because they simply can’t get jobs elsewhere and they need the money. Other vacillate between attractive enough but not distinguishable in any other way, or dim-witted, or stuck. It’s a pretty good cross-section of humanity, albeit one within a certain age-range.

And I suppose you could say it’s a growing up movie, which normally wouldn’t appeal to me, except that the lesson learned here is one I wish I’d learn at the tender age of 21: You can’t just avoid the people you fuck up with. I’m not sure I’m quoting that correctly, but I love it. Because we all fuck up, so if you start the avoiding game, you’re going to run out of people to hang with, or need a constant supply of new friends and lovers, on a pretty regular basis.

I’ll say it again, Oh, if I’d only learned this at 21. Or even 31.

There are some great performances here. Jesse Eisenberg (who was in The Squid and the Whale, though I don’t remember him). And Kristen Stewart, as Em, whose performance actually makes me want to see Twilight. Oh, and Martin Starr as Joel, James’s buddy. The coolest nerd you’ll ever encounter.

What’s it all about (Alfie)? I don’t know. I’m not really prepared to say yet. But I’m definitely still savoring its bits….the tube socks, the turquoise jewelry, the way James uses his line about wanting to be a travel writer in the same way that Charles Dickens was several times, knowing that, with the right audience, it makes him sound cool. The scene were Bobby goes after a thug with a baseball bat, and, a second later, goes back to tabulating his accounts.

I could go on.

6 comments:

Deborah Heiligman said...

Elizabeth, I just read your review out loud to Jon and we agree, it's right on. I love where you talk about hanging out with the people who fuck up anyway--it's what I'm writing about in my novel, and I found the movie helpful for that, too. (I should be better about it in life.) and I really like your comments about moments in movies. I love to try to figure out what a movie is about, but it IS the moments that come back to me. The only thing I would ask is, do you think they tried to get Michael Sera and couldn't? Because Jesse seemed to be playing him, though I think Jesse might have more range. O.K. more later. Jon says we can watch Twilight tonight!

nancytik said...

dennis and i saw this last night. i liked it a lot--dennis *loved* it. he wouldn't leave until the very last credit had rolled. he said it totally made him remember what it felt like to be that age (it did me too, kinda, but unfortunately i remembered that i was usually miserable). you know the director, gregg motolla, is part of the whole judd apatow crew--maybe it's not supposed to be about all that much besides what it feels like to be a boy coming of age. (and that parents are are the enemy. though now that i'm a parent, i see the parent/kid divide a bit differently....)

Elizabeth DeVita-Raeburn said...

nancy...well, the kids in the movie were fairly miserable in their own way, too. but i guess that's not much solace. i can't say i was particularly happy at this phase of my life, either...maybe the fact that i'm happy now makes it easier to look back with...i don't know...tolerance? nostalgia? something like that.

you know, i don't really know the whole judd apatow thing, but i really should get to know it, seeing as how its such a "thing."

and re: parenting, i do know what you mean now, but it's also VERY hard for me to imagine you being like the parents in that movie.

cmayo218 said...

I just saw Adventureland last night! Andrew and I both loved it. Andrew said it was very nostalgic. Watching it brought him back to that time in his life, although he was a little young at that exact time, he totally related to James. I really enjoyed it and thought it was entertaining.
When it first started I thought it was going to be a little "Dawson's Creek-ish" with the overly advanced language for the age-group. It ended up not being like that at all and I really enjoyed each of the characters performances. I also think Ryan Reynolds, although his part was small, did a great job. A little creepy, a little pathetic, and of course good looking.
I agree with Deborah on the Michael Cera topic.The first thing I said during the credits was that he could have played the James part as well but probably didn't want to keep type casting himself as that awkward gawky guy. I am glad he didn't do the role because I loved watching this new guy.
Overall, I really enjoyed the movie and the entire cast.
I have to say I am pretty happy that I missed that whole hairstyle period. Those bangs? They defied gravity!

Wesley said...

Hey - I finally saw this last night! I'm interested that Nancy says that Dennis *loved* it while she liked it a lot.... June said to me, as soon as the lights were up, that it bothered her that we didn't learn anything specific about the inner life or aspirations of Em. I have to say, I didn't even notice that, caught up as I was in loving the intensity of the emotions, in feeling vicariously the great pleasure of having a girl that cool fall for you at such an open age, and in desperately hoping he wouldn't fuck it up - ! In other words, entering into it with the fantasies of a male who was once young and (even more, probably) awkward. Did anyone else find the focus on the boy(s) a problem? I also found that the kids seemed oddly a bit YOUNGER than college-graduate age (usually, in movies, it's the other way around - the high-school kids with five-o'clock shadows thing) - the things they did; the living with the parents; (the utter lack of forethought re: how to pay for graduate school,too! one of those plot devices you just have to accept). It didn't really bother me - but did anyone else feel that way? Funny, I didn't feel the parents were especially jerky, just kind of normally jerky - does that say more about my parents, or about me? Anyway, it gave me a real lift, that movie (I had no intention of seeing it till all of you made me feel I should). And I DEFINITELY get the "now-I-should-watch-Twilight-to-see-Kristen-Stewart" thing!

Elizabeth DeVita-Raeburn said...

Hey Wes, sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Way too many trips lately, with all the nutty getting out of town and adapting to being back in town that goes with it. I'm totally on board with you--I enjoyed this movie so much that I forgave the few red (pink?) flags, like the fact that the kids seemed young, and just got on the ride. I loved the boys, didn't at all think about Em's inner aspirations too much...I felt like I read her just fine. She seemed to me too much consumed in her present troubles, in fact, to be overly focused on future/inner aspirations...which is pretty much how I was as a college student, myself. (Would that it had been different, but...) As for the parents...I don't know. I'm actually frequently appalled by parental behavior--that of my own, that of parents I see at the park. I think I'm a little sensitized, perhaps, because of being a newish parent and by memories of un-just behavior of years gone by. I guess that, as a parent, I hope I don't do a lot of what I see and have seen. Does that make sense? At any rate, glad you enjoyed it. I still haven't seen Twilight but would really like to.