Monday, November 3, 2008

“I have loved you so long” (French title: “Il ya longtemps que je t’aime”)


Score another one for Kristin Scott Thomas, who I saw recently in “Tell no one.” This is an actress who has recently jumped to my I’ll-see-anything-this-actor-is-in list. (I’m still working on this list, but will post it soon.).

I’m torn here, because I hate giving away plot, and I don’t like to give away too many details. This movie builds so nicely, and leads you through the story so well, explaining at it’s own pace, that I’m afraid revealing any details would ruin that gradual unfolding for you….So I’m going to talk in infuriating generalities and hope you see it for yourself.

Kristen Scott Thomas plays Juliette, a woman with a past. What that past is is the business of the movie. It’s a quiet, character-driven, movie that requires participation from the audience, i.e. one revelation does not telegraph the entire plot, leaving you merely waiting for it to play out (and a tad bored). The revelations are doled out one at a time, simply and without fanfare, allowing you to slowly assimilate the story…and make your own judgments about where you stand on the main character.

It’s a story about siblings, fine lines, judgment and what makes some people stick it out…and by stick it out I mean stay alive…And it will leave you with the question “what would I have done?” Fair warning, you might shed a tear or two near the end.

And Paul and I agreed that it may rival “Casablanca” for the best final line of a movie, ever. The performances are vivid, real and believable. Really, go see it.

1 comment:

Paul Raeburn said...

I thought the story unfolded at exactly the right pace. The suspense builds as one detail after another casually, and artfully, emerges in conversation. And Kristin Scott Thomas has one of those faces--while not beautiful in the narrow sense--that you can't take your eyes away from. During those rare moments when she wasn't on the screen, I found myself anxiously awaiting her return. You're right--see anything, and everything, she's in.